Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The One with the Pancakes

Happy Shrove Tuesday!


In a bid to keep doing what we would at home, Suzanne, Lincoln H and I decided to hold a Pancake Party in Lincoln's Hostel in Kings Cross. Mainly for our benefit, but also as there were a few Germans there who knew nothing about it, but seeing as they didn't both to show up for our party, they're hardly worth mentioning.

H and Lincoln were in charge of making the batter, while Suzanne and I "supervised", and took photos. As Rod will clarify, I am rubbish at making pancakes. Mine always end up in a gooey ball, and I can never flip them (to be honest I think it's because I am slightly impatient...)

Anyway, I was kind of hoping that someone would be nice enough to make lots of pancakes which I could then eat, but no... photographic evidence was needed of each of us doing a bad job at tossing the pancakes.

My first attempt was as shocking as ever, but I redeemed myself and managed to toss what turned out to be an edible pancake (another first!) The problem was trying to get a photo of me where the pancake was both in the air (easy) but where there wasn't a look of both concentration and strain on my face (nearly impossible) On the 300th take, we got the best shot possible but as you can see it's still not a natural and relaxed pose!

Each took their turn, and Lincoln was a little enthusiastic. He wanted to toss his pancake really high.... and the inevitable happened. I was laughing so much I had to sit down. The three girls had tears rolling down their faces, but with a quick claim of "3 second rule..." the pancake was off the floor and back in the pan!

I do have some "flipping" footage which I will try and put on here as soon as I can work out how to upload videos!

That evening, we had a "get to know you" dinner with the people in our house and the house next door. Both houses are owned by a local hostel, and we have all pretty much moved in at the same time. In the other house are Mike (our landlord), Mike (Dutchy) - non surprisingly Dutch, Andy and Kate (a co
uple from Northern Ireland) and Joe (from Essex). The two houses get on really well, and we all went to The Gaff (a local bar) which was serving free beer to residents of the hostel (and therefore us as well) .
Pikey Backpacker that I am I stayed for the hour of the free beer and then went home to bed!

Andy, Joe, Kate, Katie and H

No comments: