Thursday, May 24, 2007

The One with Nemo

With visions of snorkeling in Turquoise waters and burning in the hot sun, our trip to the Barrier Reef couldn't have been more different. As I sat on the boat and looked out at the pouring rain, I couldn't help but feel a little bit disappointed!

It takes an hour or so to get out to the reef, and most of that time is spent getting instruction about the trial scuba dive that I'm going to take out there.

We arrive at the first spot, and Helen and i go for a snorkel. The coral comes up very close to the surface at parts, a great chance to see loads of fish, and my first sighting of Nemo (although a black and orange variety of Clown fish) hiding in the anemones.

We also see a giant Clam resting on the ocean floor.

I'm called back to the boat, and get fitted up for my scuba dive. We head to the side of the boat and head sub aqua to a trapeze like pole hanging in the water and are tested on our skills - ie clearing the water from our mask etc.

I manage to screw up the losing your regulator part once again. this time running out of air and realising wide eyed in panic that i won't be able to clear the water from the regulator. luckily the instructor just pressed a button which cleared it all for me!

Down on the ocean floor we saw a couple of stingrays, and then Nemo Proper and Marlin his dad hiding in a different anemone.

Back on the boat it's time for a sumptuous lunch before heading to a second snorkeling sight. I think i actually see more on these snorkeling outings. We see Coral off all different colours, a star fish and so many fish. I panic at times when I float accidentally over the coral and realise I have to float back off without moving or else I'll damage the coral!

It was great day, and I've seen a true wonders of the natural world.

back at Cairns we walk around int he torrential downpour, getting soaked to the skin and splashing each other in the puddles!

No comments: