Monday, January 1, 2007

The One with 2007

So, I've been talking about spending New Year in Gisborne (the first city in the world to see the sun) since I started booking this trip, but due to a monumental mess up on my part (and booking hostels last minute down to Rod!) we actually ended up in a small place called Tokomaru Bay one hour north of Gisborne.

At the time, as we drove through Gisborne I was really cross with myself, but having said that, Gisborne was rammed with people, and as we headed up the coast through amazing scenery I was beginning to feel what a lucky mistake to have made.

Tokomaru Bay is a one shop, one pub, and a few houses dotted along a beach, kind of town, with a lot of Mauri influence, adn the hostel where we stayed - Brian's place - had only a few rooms, so it was a really cosy homely place, with about 10 of us, a veranda that overlooked the whole bay and beach, and the only rule being that you had to take your shoes off inside!

We checked out the pub on the evening of the 30th - locals Honga'd (pressed noses) to each other in welcome, and we could by drinking supplies from the pub to take back to the hostel!

The next day was really chilled out. Playing card games, reading etc, and then Rod borrowed the baord and wetsuit from the hostel to show me his surfing moves. No I didn't go in. Despite being summer it was flipping cold and overcast, so I was resident photographer!

We settled in for New Year playing endless card games including Scummy, and Gin, and then as 2007 came across the threshold we lit sparklers from the fire and watched a few fireworks burst into life on the beach.

At 5.20am I awoke to my alarm, and despite the cloud cover, watched the first sunrise of the year - and actually Tokomaru is even more easterly than Gisborne, so I was still one of the first to watch the sunrise, and even better, as our room looked out over the ocean, I could do it without even getting out of bed!

Happy New Year to you all! May 2007 be full of adventure!

No comments: