Saturday, October 21, 2006

The One with the Earthquake

You read it right.

Sadly... I slept through it. 6am yesterday a tremor rocked Lima, leaving all other hotel residents wondering what the hell was going on and why the room and light fixtures were shaking. Helen and I were snoring our heads off and remained completely oblivious to the whole affair. Doh!

Just spent a day in Lima. Went on a city tour yesterday and on the corner of the street (by a dog wearing a hat and glasses!) we ran into Milly! Hoorah! Had a great dinner with her last night and will catch up with her again in Cuzco.

The tour took us to a pre incan ruin (which I can't pronounce let alone spell) the Love Park by the sea, based on Parc Guell in Barcelona, and the main heart of Lima with its Cathedral, City Hall and Government building.

We also went to the church of San Francisco and the Catacoombs. A little peruvian girl seemed amazed at one of our groups digital camera (she was sooo cute)

In the Catacoombs were lots of bones - mainly femurs and skulls - all neatly arranged with teh sign DO NOT TOUCH above them. What kind of sick tourists come here. I wouldn't touch them if you paid me to. ' My sister went to Lima and all I got was this lousy femur!' I can see the t-shirts now!

Had our first Pisco Sour - I'm hoping they will grow on me. We're off to Pisco now. I am very excited about this trip!

No comments: