Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The One in with the Tuk Tuks

Feeling invigorated after my week in Phuket, I fly to Bangkok, feeling more positive about spending quality time with myself.

I manage to get from the airport to the travellers mecca of Khao San Road, and after several recommendations, get settled in at a really nice place, which is also very cheap, just around the corner.

As I sit chatting to some people at dinner, I manage to invite myself out with them, adn we head to the seedy heights of Patpong... the home of a night market full of fakes, and certain less savoury things, which i will not go into but describe simply as "eye opening"

The next morning, and it's off to do business with the British Consulate. As I have extended my trip, I need a new passport (mine is running out). The disappointing news is that it will take 2 weeks which means that my plans of meeting up with my mate Sam (that i met in NZ) are well and truly scuppered.

Chin up Kate, and deal with it.

So, I head to Jim Thompsons House - an ex CIA guy who did great work for the thai silk trade,a dn who mysteriously disappeared in the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia.

Next up, a trip down the river on a boat, and a visit to the temple of Wat Arun. The temple is beautiful, and decorated with broken donated pottery.

Over the river I head to Wat Po, home of the fantastic reclining Gold Buddha. It's so big you can hardly get it all in a picture. It's feet are inlaid with mother of pearl, and it's just breathtaking.


With enough culture for one night, I wander down the neon lit Khao San Road and do a bit of cheap shopping - fake crocs for two pounds... you can't go wrong (although sadly you can, as it turns out my feet are allergic to them!!)

The next day, and I head off to the Grand Palace - home of the Emerald Buddha. This is simply breathtaking, and covered in gold, with huge statues of monster looking men guarding the doorways. What I can't seem to understand is that if Buddhism is about peace, and living serenely and simple lives with few possessions, then why are the temples so ornate???

I set off in the rain, to find the Golden Mount, and turn down several tuk tuks en route, arriving drenched. But it did mean I passed a wonderful scene of monks in their saffron robes escaping the rain and standing having a chat in an alley all holding umbrellas! One for the memory bank.

What stands out for me most about Bangkok, however, are the tuk tuks.

These are like motorbike tricycles and they all drive like nutters. They're also a fairly cheap way of getting about, but this does involve haggling, and remembering to specify that you don't, under any circumstances, want to go to their brothers sisters aunts shop. At one point this involved me being fobbed off into 4 tuk tuks before one agreed to take me where I actually wanted to go.

To be honest. Driving in a tuk tuk is exhilarting, but I must say that I did fear for my life on more than one occasion!!!

No comments: