Monday, July 9, 2007

The One in Phuket

I make it safely into Thailand, and befriend some 19 year olds who keep me company to Krabi, adn the next day i'm picked up by Tony (aka Mr K) who takes me back to Phuket.

Tony had said he'd pick me up, as it's "not far"... it's over 2 hours... the equivalent of picking someone up from Cardiff and taking them back to Watford, and yet out here, distances seem different. It really isn't far at all!

Tony and his wife Liisa kindly put me up, and encouraging me to stay I find that I'm there for almost a week! It's pure bliss. My first night, I chill out in a local bar, and listen to Tony play with his band.... a far cry from langkawi that's for sure!

But it's not all pure laziness... I go back to school and try and remember a bit of physics and maths in order to complete my PADI - Open Water Certificate - ie qualify as a scuba diver.

I do struggle a bit with the physics... but lucky Tony was a physics teacher!

As usual... I also manage to make a fool of myself in the pool a bit. Trying to inflate my BCD on a button... and rolling over backwards every time I try and hover in the water. But as luck would have it it's only me and Chris my teacher in the pool, so I don't have any other students to embarrass myself in front of.

On day 2 of the course I have my first trip out to sea! We go to an island called Racha Yai and do 3 dives off it's coast.

The world underneath the water is AMAZING. It's such an honour and priveledge to be able to get so close to so many fish, and on my first dive I even see an Octopus, which drains of colour as we go nearer.

I see Moray eels, pufferfish, porcupine fish, Moorish idols, boxfish, and to be honest too many to mention. I come to the surface exhilarated, adn I still ahve 2 more dives today. I don't think i'll ever go to an aquarium again. Diving looks like it's going to be a very addictive hobby!

Day 3 and I'm back in the classroom, pass my exam (whoop!) and finish my training. I am now theoretically a diver, and just 2 open water dives stand between me and qualification.

The next day Tony and Liisa join me on the Excaliber II and we head back to Racha Yai. The weather is not so good and the water is a bit choppy. My first dive is not so great. My bouancy is a bit skew whiff, adn when my tank gets lighter my legs float up to the surface.

That said... I did see a cuttlefish. Which was sooooooo cool. I am never having a budgie.

My last dive is infinately better, and to top is all off I see a Stone fish. I wish I could describe him, but take my word for it, they are fab!

And then, it's back to shore, and I sign the paperwork and join the club!


The next day, Tony and I do a tour of the island. We go up to the Big Buddha on the hill... it's still being finished, but will be immense when it's done. What's more, it'll be visible from all over the island (and probably space!)

Next up is Wat Chalong - a buddhist temple. In one of the shrines people knelt and shook a box of what looked like pick up sticks until one fell out. they look at the number on the stick and then go and get the corressponding bit of paper that tellsthem a fortune. Here they also stick gold leaf on some monk statues. Standing as an outsider looking into other religions is fascinating.

We pop to Tesco's (I kid you not), and then on to Phuket town, and a trip to the On On Hotel which was used in the film the Beach.

As we drive around Tony and I talk about the differences between home and Thailand. The utes that zip about with 15 or so people in the back, headscarves blowing in the wind. The mobile food sellers, who drive a motorbike with a cooking area attached (Stop me and Fry One), the fact that Coke in Thai looks like the word Ian, and the bottled gasoline lit up by the side of the road at night as the service stations have shut, and which look like bottles of white wine or Rose.... could be a nsaty mistake!

We head round the island, taking in the beaches of Kata, Karon and the rather more gourdy Patong - which looks a bit like the equivalent of Magaluf.

The next day, Tony and Liisa take me to see an elephant shrine. I'm not sure if it's buddhist or hindu but it was full of elephants. all around the circle of the shrine, people had left elephants. Dressed up ones like the one below, wooden ones, stone ones, trunks up or down. It was quite a sight!

Sadly, this also marked the end of my time in Phuket. at this time of year the water is a bit choppy to get from Phi Phi to "The Beach" beach, so that will have to wait until next time.... as, in the words of Arnie "i'll be back".

Tony and Liisa... thank you so much for having me, and for all the trouble you went to organising my Padi and ferrying me about. I had a wonderful time. Please stay in contact. x

No comments: